POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The computer project : Re: The computer project Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:16:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The computer project
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 Jun 2010 14:57:45
Message: <4c17cd29@news.povray.org>
>> I should maybe point out that these mass spectrometers retail for
>> approximately £250,000 *each*. (I.e., this machine is worth more than my
>> _house_.)
>
> Eh, one of the jigging setups I worked on cost about that much, but it's
> huge, contains a lot of steel, and about 60 or so motors, drives and
> associated hardware (relays, transformers, power supplies, pneumatic
> valves, etc...)

The mass spectrometer requires 6 people to lift safely, so I guess
there's a lot of metal in it. It also contains vacuum pumps, which take
about 20 minutes to spin up / spin down. (And much, much longer than
that to actually pump down to a vacuum.) And it generates a couple of
kilovolts (but bugger all current) to ionise the sample...

...still not sure exactly why it's so expensive though. Probably design
time / production volume.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/