POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead : Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Jun 2010 12:03:08
Message: <4c17a43c$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> The problem with that definition is that is probably excludes most of what
> has been produced, sold and accepted by the public under that name,

Sadly true.

> "A clockwork orange" is one of the most
> powerful and influential SF movie ever, except that there's 0 science in it.

I've never heard that called science fiction.  Is 1984 also considered to be
science fiction?

> There's not much science in 2001 either, btw.

In the book there is, certainly. You can't tell the story of 2001 without
aliens setting up a monolith.

> Really, the label "science fiction" was basically a marketing trick design
> to attract readers at a time when "science" was a catch-all term (see
> "scientology" or "Christian science" for similar abuses of the word). In
> other words, the "science" in science fiction never actually meant science,
> except for a few science-minded writers.

Sadly true.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly