POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead : Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 15 Jun 2010 05:59:36
Message: <4c174f08$1@news.povray.org>

4c1547ff$1@news.povray.org...
> I just like making the distinction between "science fiction" and "fantasy
> set in the future".   Fifth Element is fantasy set in the future, not
> science fiction.
The problem with that definition is that is probably excludes most of what
has been produced, sold and accepted by the public under that name, from the
pulp stuff written to titillate teenage boys (monsters! titties!) to the
works of many famous SF writers. Bradbury was never about science, and
neither were Dick, Farmer, Herbert, Van Vogt etc. Hard SF where science is
the topic rather that the facilitator / pretext is really a subgenre rather
than the norm. Likewise, movie SF is rather about eye candy and occasionally
challenging ideas than science. "A clockwork orange" is one of the most
powerful and influential SF movie ever, except that there's 0 science in it.
There's not much science in 2001 either, btw.
Really, the label "science fiction" was basically a marketing trick design
to attract readers at a time when "science" was a catch-all term (see
"scientology" or "Christian science" for similar abuses of the word). In
other words, the "science" in science fiction never actually meant science,
except for a few science-minded writers.

G.