POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting performance paper : Re: Interesting performance paper Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting performance paper
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 Jun 2010 15:29:18
Message: <4c16830e$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> BTW, it's not harddrive life that worries me in such situations, but the
> bare struggle to get the system's attention back. Try killing a
> swapping-mad program when it keeps thrashing the task manager out of
> main memory... >_<

Heh. Fun... Actually, the one I usually have trouble with is Alt+Tab
from a game back to the Windows desktop. Takes several lifetimes in both
directions. No idea why.

One thing I discovered back at uni: If your Java program accidentally
goes into an infinite loop, it dies almost instantly with a stack
overflow. If your Smalltalk program accidentally loops forever, it's
usually a few minutes before you realise that it's actually filling the
entire VM address space with garbage. Now try stopping it. :-)

Literally, it's so determined to follow your instructions as efficiently
as possible that for a while you don't even realise what's wrong. It
just looks like it's "busy".

Of course, infinite loops are much, much more common in Smalltalk. A
very common idiom is to write

#new
   super new.
   ...stuff...

But if, by some slip, you instead write

#new
   self new.
   ...stuff...

...then calling #new immediately calls #new, creating an endless
allocation loop. o_O

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/