POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lens Design: CSG Intersection vs Lathe Object : Re: Lens Design: CSG Intersection vs Lathe Object Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:26:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lens Design: CSG Intersection vs Lathe Object
From: clipka
Date: 14 Jun 2010 15:04:15
Message: <4c167d2f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.06.2010 19:14, schrieb AlexLens:

> In the meantime, here is the lathe code, it's a bit long so I didn't initially
> post it:

Here's your problem:

> //--------------------------------PLANO-CONVEX LENS LATHE-----------------------
> lathe
> {
>    quadratic_spline
>     1000,
>    <1.000,0.0000000000>,
> <0.999,0.0005769655>,
> <0.998,0.0011531620>,
> <0.002,0.2679481924>,
> <0.001,0.2679489424>

> }

Quote from the docs, section 3.4.1.7, "Lathe" (emphasis added):

"The curve is *not* automatically closed, i.e. the first and last points
are not automatically connected. You will have to do this yourself if
you want a closed curve. The curve thus defined is rotated about the
y-axis to form the lathe object, centered at the origin."

As you do not explicitly close the curve, all you get is a surface (the
curved side), not a solid body - which pretty much messes up reflection
computations. (When the rays encounter the curved surface, POV-Ray
thinks they would be /entering/ the object there rather than leaving it,
having pretty much the same effect as using a planar-convex lens with an
ior of 0.666 rather than 1.5.)