POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting performance paper : Re: Interesting performance paper Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting performance paper
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Jun 2010 14:26:08
Message: <4c167440$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Even then, you'd have some log8(N) dependency of gate levels needed,
> where N isn't even the amount of memory, but the number of address lines.

I'm not really following...

> 1 level:   8 address lines - up to 256 words (*)
> 2 levels: 64 address lines - up to 16 Exawords

Except ... you need that fan-in for each word you address. Now you have a
problem of fan-out, as well, if I'm visualizing what you're saying correctly.

In theory, any logic function (including an entire CPU) can be built from
two levels of gates. In practice, the fan-in and fan-out kills you, because
you can't have 256 fan-outs going into each of 256 additional gates.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly