POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The computer project : Re: The computer project Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The computer project
From: clipka
Date: 13 Jun 2010 20:11:46
Message: <4c1573c2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 13.06.2010 21:09, schrieb Orchid XP v8:
>>> I have a sinking feeling that if I went to the [extreme] expensive of
>>> getting an FPGA rig, I'd probably then find that I'm too stupid to make
>>> it do anything anyway! :-/
>>
>> Nonsense.
>
> Well, the expensive bit is true enough. I just re-checked the Xilinx
> website and I can't find any starter kits for less than about $200.
> You'd have to buy *a lot* of 7400 chips to approach that price tag.

Try Lattice. Their development kits go as low as $49 (one of them is
currently even on sale for $29).

Or, alternatively, get a "bare" ispMACH 4A5 in 44-pin PLCC package, a
44-pin PLCC socket, the "ispLEVER Classic" development software (you'll
need to register but AFAIK it's free otherwise), the "ispVM System"
programming software (free as well), and an "ispDOWNLOAD"-compatible
programming cable on eBay for a few bucks. At least that's what I did.