POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead : Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
From: John VanSickle
Date: 13 Jun 2010 12:32:00
Message: <4c150800$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:

> Why is it that this genre has become such a bad joke?

As Theodore Sturgeon famously quipped, when confronted with the
statement that 90% of science fiction is crap, "Ninety percent of
everything is crap."

The movie industry's attitude towards the genre indicates that they have
absolutely no appreciation of its potential, but merely use it to entice
money out of people who will pay to watch anything that features a
technological future.

The fans share no small part in this general failure.  The typical fan
either goes "oh--ah!" at the explosions and exotic elements, or hopes
that high tech will bring meaning to his life.

Regards,
John