POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead : Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I unofficially declare sci-fi movie genre officially dead
From: somebody
Date: 13 Jun 2010 08:32:00
Message: <4c14cfc0$1@news.povray.org>
"Slime" <pov### [at] slimelandcom> wrote in message

> Moon was great. Not entirely believable, no, but still good. Spoiling a
> movie because you didn't like it is bad form.

In that casel, more spoilers below...

I would say it's *entirely* unbelievable. Why on earth (or moon) would a
company probably worth multi trillions of dollars not able to afford to keep
a crew of more than one person on their  base? Does it make sense to any
reasonable businessman, not to mention paranoid shareholders, to trust all
your company marbles to the sanity and physical health of a single human?
Why go through all the trouble (ethical, legal, technical, logistic) trouble
of using self-destructing clones, when shipping a proper and healthy crew
every six months or so would probably be even cheaper and without all the
risks? Plus, if you are going through all that trouble, why give your HAL
clone an Asimovian conscience so it can screw up things royally when the
inevitable comes? (BTW, if you are going to rip off so many pieces from
previous movies, at least try to improve on them. Compared to the original,
the new HAL's lines and voice acting was beyond forgettable. What were they
thinking? That the silly smiley faces would somehow make up for its utter
lack of character?)

It seems that the whole operation is automated, except for taking a full
canister from the harvester and putting it into the launcher, which their
engineers conveniently forgot to automate. Speaking of the launcher, it
needs to accelerate to about 5000 km/s in a few seconds - just how many g's
would a person hiding inside (even if we are to believe the engineers again
conveniently and myseteriously made it much bigger than necessary) be
pulling? The drawers full of clones in the hidden chamber was so ridiculous
on so many levels that I laughed out loud.

Not to mention the magical earth normal gravity inside the base and even
outside on the lunar surface (to their credit, there's a 2 second period
when he's returning back having dumped the other clone back into the truck,
that they remembered about the lunar gravity). Instantenous earth moon
videoconferencing (everyone and their dog knows there's a minimum of just
over 2 sec delay) shows that they could not be bothered to look up even the
most obvious facts. I was given no excuse for suspension of disbelief. I am
willing, but I expect the movie makers to meet me at least halfway there.

I'm not even going to bother with the poor character development. I could
not care one bit for either of the clones. Their interaction was no more
than a slapstick comedy act anyway. There was no suspense, no mystery.
Everything was so cardboardy.