POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The computer project : Re: The computer project Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The computer project
From: clipka
Date: 12 Jun 2010 11:44:06
Message: <4c13ab46$1@news.povray.org>
Am 12.06.2010 11:04, schrieb Orchid XP v8:

> Yeah, I'd heard about that. I guess if space is tight you need to put
> everything into a single ASIC. But otherwise, I'm not sure what the
> advantage is to integrating (say) an MPEG1 decoder into your chip is
> verses just mounting two chips on the board. Any cost saving in having
> to only mount one chip is surely dwarfed by the vast cost of making an
> ASIC.

Depends on the numbers we're taling about. At some volume, the one-time
cost of designing an ASIC is dwarfed by the per-device cost savings for
ICs (reducing total wafer surface by eliminating unnecessary bonding
pads, logic gates, and space lost due to cutting; reducing the number of
required bonding wires; reducing the number of IC packages), PCBs (again
reducing total PCB surface & drill holes - maybe even reducing the
number of layers - and simplifying testing, by eliminating unnecessary
IC-to-IC interconnections and solder pads; reducing the shipping costs
for the PCBs) and soldering (reducing the amount of solder needed;
reducing the number of potential points of failure; etc.)