POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The computer project : Re: The computer project Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The computer project
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 12 Jun 2010 04:01:29
Message: <4c133ed9@news.povray.org>
>> As for other people: You can always find people who do other stuff
>> than you and thus show no interest in what you do. Do they count?
>> Nope. After all, I don't understand much about medicine nor do I want
>> to study it, but I'm sure happy there are doctors around.
>
> Ironic how society values doctors, but computer programmers are seen as
> losers who can't handle real life...

Yeah, I was wondering if I should have picked a different job for the
example. >.<

I guess the doctors take care of you when you're feeling sick and, of
course, in life-threatening situations, they tend to keep your bloodflow
going. You get to be the go-to-guy when you are a doctor.
Studying medicine is still a difficult task, and the responsibility you
have as a doctor would probably be too much for some to handle. No
wonder they're valued.

But coming back to computer programmers: Not so long ago, computers
weren't what they are today: Really powerful machines. If you went
tinkering with a computer, you just *had* to be a geek in a dark little
corner.
Nowadays, programming is not just another job like any other, its even a
valued one: At least in my country, lots of people are looking for jobs,
the only ones that need not worry *in the least* are the programmers.
Send three applications and get at least two job offers back.

It's about how you present yourself and how confident you are in your
abilities, not just as a programmer, but as a human being. I reckon
you're a good guy and a rather capable programmer. So stick with that
instead of carrying a long-faced loser-pose around. Nothing shouts more
for a loser-title than a loser-pose. ;-)