POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The computer project : Re: The computer project Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The computer project
From: clipka
Date: 11 Jun 2010 15:01:39
Message: <4c128813$1@news.povray.org>
Am 11.06.2010 12:32, schrieb Invisible:

> And like I said, every geek on the planet wants to get paid to develop
> mathematical algorithms or design cutting-edge chips or build
> next-generation game engines or... The trouble is, there are a tiny
> handful of such jobs in the entire world, and therefore you are almost
> guaranteed to never be hired.

Throw that mindset overboard, or you /are/ indeed guaranteed to never be
hired.

I wouldn't want to develop mathematical algorithms, for instance. But I
do love developing software for embedded systems. Fact is, that's what I
did for a living during the last 5 years or so, and possibly soon do again.

How come?

Because I kept toying around with computers, hardware, and the like. And
because I'm good at learning stuff like that: You'd possibly be
surprised to hear how few job vacancies in our business are filled with
people who happen to be a /perfect/ fit for it; so virtually the only
way to get that is to hire some bloke who is good at /learning/, and
have him /become/ the perfect fit.

So by all means do keep training your learning skill.

And forget that the only programming /language/ you know is Haskell -
instead focus on the fact that you have a lot of experience with the
/concept/ of functional programming in general. Which is /not/ just an
academic concept (if I'm not mistaken, the mobile communications sector
does a lot with functional programming).