POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 1001 Free Fonts : Re: 1001 Free Fonts Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 1001 Free Fonts
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Jun 2010 13:25:12
Message: <4c127178$1@news.povray.org>
SharkD wrote:
> On 6/11/2010 2:03 AM, Darren New wrote:
>> That said, my understanding is that you can trademark a font name, and
>> you can copyright the file the font is in, but you can't copyright the
>> font itself. (I.e., a font is an "idea" while a TTF file is an
>> expression of that idea.)
>
> Why would their copyright be different than any other artistic work?

Hey, I don't make the rules.

I don't think it is different. Maybe you could copyright each individual
letter shape or something. But the font as a whole is designed to be used
with rearranged characters, yes?  You can copyright a book, but not the
individual words in a book, too.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly