POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Alan Wake, AAARGH! : Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:21:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH!
From: Warp
Date: 11 Jun 2010 12:29:09
Message: <4c126455@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> I've heard a number of people say this. (E.g., there are certain people
> where every time we have a CSS match, they have to restart their PC a
> dozen times before CSS will launch without crashing.) I find this rather
> baffling. I have *never* seen CSS crash, even once.

  The most irritating thing is that it's almost impossible to know what
ultimately is the cause for the crashes and hangups. Is it a bug in the
game itself? Is it a bug in the display driver, or perhaps in some other
driver? Is it a bug in Windows? Could it be the hardware overheating? Is
the game simply somehow slightly incompatible with my precise brand of
graphics card (yeah, it does happen sometimes even though DirectX should
make sure it doesn't)? Maybe some combination of any of the previous, which
when they just happen to coincide causes the game to crash?

> >   Of course there are drawbacks too. For one, games deliberately have no
> > support for mouse and keyboard.

> And this is the main reason why I will never, ever buy a console.

  There are many games which are actually more enjoyable to play with a
game controller than with keyboard+mouse. I have a Logitech Rumblepad 2,
and eg. Batman Arkham Asylum for Windows was a delight to play with it.
I really didn't miss the keyboard+mouse at all. It's just that kind of game.

  Of course first-person shooters are a completely different story.

--
                                                          - Warp