POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The computer project : Re: The computer project Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The computer project
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jun 2010 10:53:46
Message: <4c124dfa$1@news.povray.org>
>> Really? There aren't higher-speed CPU or DSP chips you can use?
>
> Probably an overkill (in terms of size, power and cost) if you only want
> it to do a specific task very well.  You don't want a dual core x86 CPU
> (with associated heatsink and fans) inside your HD camcorder just to
> compress MPEG4 video in real time, or inside your TV to calculate in
> between frames :-)

x86 is inefficient anyway. ;-) The only reason to use it is backwards
compatbility - which isn't a consideration when designing a new product.

I'd be surprised if there aren't already off-the-shelf parts you can buy
for MPEG4 decoding. Surely there are for MPEG1...

>> I wouldn't notice power consumption, brightness and thickness I
>> haven't seen any noticable difference,
>
> Brightness and power consumption are linked, usually brightness is kept
> roughly constant now and power consumption is reduced.  You must have
> seen the new LCD TVs that are only 10 or 15 mm thick?  5 years ago that
> would have been impossible.

Presumably that's why until a few years ago nobody sold LCD TVs in the
first place then?

>> I'd be surprised if a company would pay somebody full-time just to
>> make stuff that they only use to make sure their real products work.
>
> Err why would you be surprised?  It's a necessary activity to be able to
> test your own products!

Sure. But how often do you need to design new test equipment?

>> Out of curiosity, what's the job?
>
> The electrical version of what I do.  You would like the FPGA/VHDL
> stuff, but it would also involve analogue stuff (EMC issues mainly),
> talking to customers and travelling abroad, so you definitely wouldn't
> like it :-)

Ah, OK. So even if I had the qualifications I wouldn't be applying for
this. ;-)

Sometimes it seems like there isn't a job in existence where you can
avoid having customers shout at you...