POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The computer project : Re: The computer project Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The computer project
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jun 2010 10:41:38
Message: <4c124b22$1@news.povray.org>
>> Maybe it's just the part of the world I live in, but I thought touch
>> screen technology was still very rare?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_mobile_phones
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10389847-17.html
>
> Put together the sales of all iPhones, iPods and clones and that's a
> huge number of touch screens.

I wasn't aware that the iPhone has a touch-screen. (I hadn't really
thought about it...) I've never seen an iPod, so I wouldn't know
anything about that. And since I never see any mobile phones [other than
the one I own], I wasn't aware that any of them have touch-screens yet.
(My initial reaction is that that would get dirty quite fast and/or stop
working extremely quickly... Presumably the product developers have
thought of that.)

> The Nintendo DS has a touch screen, and has sold 130m units according to
> wikipedia.

Hmm, I didn't know that. But, again, I've never really seen a DS up
close, so...

> Sales of portable navigation systems like TomTom have exploded in the
> last few years, they all have touch screens.

I know that _my_ TomTom has a touch screen. I wasn't aware that that
sort of thing is popular though.

> Most LCDs put into cars for navigation also have touch screens.

They put LCDs into cars now? :-P

> LCDs sold to the industrial segment usually have touch screens (eg for
> use to control machinery or to put into ATMs or POS machines etc).

Most ATMs I've seen still have those ancient green phosphor screens.
(Well, no, some of them are LCD - especially the ones in shopping
centers and stuff.) It would probably be easier to operate them if they
were touch-screen; sometimes you can't tell what damned button lines up
with which command!