POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The computer project : Re: The computer project Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:19:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The computer project
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jun 2010 09:31:28
Message: <4c123ab0$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> On 6/11/2010 6:11 AM, Invisible wrote:
>
>> Seriously... Doing what? Everything seems to be made of off-the-shelf
>> parts (which, by definition, already exist). What's to design?
>
> Have you ever opened an electronic gadget and peered inside? That PCB
> isn't off the shelf.

Sure. But that isn't logic design. That's designing a PCB - an entirely
different task.

> There may even be a customized chip on it.

Only if it's a ROM, PROM or EPROM. :-P

> For example, my Wacom Intuos3 (RIP) was waterlogged, so it was an
> opportunity to look inside. They have a chip on the board with their
> logo. Probably some customized DSP to translate the signals generated by
> the stylus and tablet grid.

I found a picture online of the motherboard for a C64. There was a chip
with the Commodore logo on it... but it was a bulk standard 6510.

> These sorts of things need design all of the time. I work for a company
> in the construction industry. We produce software for a niche market.
> I've worked for an industrial equipment manufacturer (a sister company)
> those machines need electrical design, and software to make them work,
> some of that software is actually rather involving mathematically, and a
> portion of it requires an understanding of calculus to really get a grip
> on how to properly set the tuning parameters.

And how many people in the entire world need to work on this software?
3? 17? 25?

> Somebody needs to design the drives that control the motors. They may
> even want to produce a custom CPU for those drives because an
> off-the-shelf CPU may not fit their needs exactly.

Given the vast profusion of extremely low-cost off-the-shelf
microcontrollers in existence, this seems highly implausible.

> Someone needs to
> design the IO controller so each solenoid on the machine can be
> controlled by the host system

Again, this sounds like a question of analogue rather than digital
electronics.

> There are plenty of opportunities to apply your skills. Look at the
> machinery at your company's lab, look at the analysis equipment. There
> are people who design these things, and are always looking for ways to
> improve the design, implement new features and cut costs.

Have you ever been in a real lab? ;-)

We have a special machine. It's only purpose is to shake things. But it
must shake in a precisely-controlled, completely repeatable mannar. So

a license to print money!

then it wouldn't be 100% repeatable, so that's no good. But then, hell,

The most high-tech thing we have is the mass spectrometers - and that's
about physical engineering, not fancy electronics. The next thing on the
list is the autosamplers - but they use a Z80 CPU to control a couple of
stepper motors. That's it. Somebody wrote the software, somebody
designed the mechanics, but no IC design involved.