POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The computer project : Re: The computer project Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The computer project
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Jun 2010 07:11:51
Message: <4c1219f7$1@news.povray.org>
>> And like I said, every geek on the planet wants to get paid to develop
>> mathematical algorithms or design cutting-edge chips or build
>> next-generation game engines or... The trouble is, there are a tiny
>> handful of such jobs in the entire world, and therefore you are almost
>> guaranteed to never be hired.
>
> You *vastly* underestimate how many jobs require those skills.

Really? Well let's see now...

The Motion Picture Experts Group might need to know the difference
between a Type-I and Type-II Discrete Cosine Transform, but most people
only *implement* MPEG standards, not design them.

Most companies do not design ICs. They purchase them off the shelf and
assemble them. (Indeed, I was under the impression that the number of
companies world-wide who actually have IC fabrication plants is very
small - although admittedly you don't need to actually have a fab to
design new ICs.)

In fact, most companies do not write software either; they purchase it.
Some of it can be customised to the point that it's almost like
developing a new product, but more usually it's a case of installing the
software and configuration a few options and templates and stuff. It
certainly doesn't call for a C programmer.

And game engines... Well, that's probably way, way less exciting than it
sounds anyway. ;-)

> Sure,
> most are not as glamorous as designing the next GPU for the PlayStation
> 4,

Actually, I imagine most jobs are way less exciting than they sound. ;-)

> but if you want to do digital circuit design for a job there are
> plenty of opportunities in a vast range of industries.

Seriously... Doing what? Everything seems to be made of off-the-shelf
parts (which, by definition, already exist). What's to design?

> If you were
> degree qualified I could point you to an opening we have at the moment.

Really? Are you ser- oh, wait, you work in Germany, don't you?