POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The computer project : Re: The computer project Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The computer project
From: scott
Date: 11 Jun 2010 04:17:16
Message: <4c11f10c$1@news.povray.org>
>> is learning not useful?
>
> Depends on your point of view.
>
> On the one hand, knowing stuff always holds the possibility that one day
> it'll somehow be useful.

But if you spend your whole life learning, you'll run out of time to do
anything useful with it :-)

> On the other hand, what possible purpose could there be to knowing how to
> build an RS Flip-Flop from two NOR latches?

Those skills will be a useful base to learn more complex things, and also to
use as part of more complex projects.

See how your knowledge of transistors helped you when you were first wiring
up your logic gate? Ermm.. hang on... :-)

Well your skill of wiring up logic gates might one day help with something
else.  If you want a real life example then on the LCDs we design here along
one edge of the glass it is pretty much just a huge chain of logic gates
that clock the display data into the DACs for each column of pixels, then
each row is clocked active in turn to connect the output of each DAC to
every pixel in that row.  Somebody has to design that, more people need to
understand it in great detail, and even more people need to roughly
understand how it works.  I'm sure there are a huge number of jobs where
knowing the details of logic gates it a requirement.