POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Alan Wake, AAARGH! : Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH!
From: scott
Date: 11 Jun 2010 04:08:02
Message: <4c11eee2$1@news.povray.org>
> It's almost like those companies that sell you a printer for £20 and then
> charge you £80 for the ink...

Exactly.  The ones who don't charge 80 for their ink have to sell their
printers for 40 to make any profit.  Then nobody buys it because it's double
the price of the competition.  In both cases they rely on the fact that
people only consider the "initial" or "base" price displayed in big flashy
font.

> My point is, it's not a standard-sized stereo that you can just replace.

Yes I understand that, most cars are like that now.  It doesn't mean you
can't take it out though.

>> My point is the electrical connection is probably right there behind
>> *your* head unit, you just need to connect three wires to it.
>
> I severely doubt it.

So it would be more than a 12p audio socket then?

> If their intention is to force you to expend money, they will presumably
> have made this is difficult as humanly possible to prevent you not
> expending money.

They wouldn't put much effort in to it, believe me.  Heck you can even spend
a few hundred pounds to modify the ECU to get the same performance as the
next model up, they could easily prevent that if they could be bothered.  In
reality not enough people do anything like this to make it worth their while
working on it.

> As far as I can tell, none of the 4 available models has an audio socket.

Ah ok, so it probably doesn't exist then.  Sorry I misunderstood, I thought
it was an option to have one installed.