POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 1001 Free Fonts : Re: 1001 Free Fonts Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 1001 Free Fonts
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 11 Jun 2010 03:00:27
Message: <4c11df0b$1@news.povray.org>
Le 11/06/2010 08:03, Darren New a écrit :
> Shay wrote:
>> So, is it legal to use these fonts for semi-commercial designs?
>
> It depends on the country. I am not a lawyer.
>
> That said, my understanding is that you can trademark a font name, and
> you can copyright the file the font is in, but you can't copyright the
> font itself. (I.e., a font is an "idea" while a TTF file is an
> expression of that idea.)

Argh... I believe you would be in trouble with any foundry (provider of
fonts): The appearance of the font is what is actually protected by the
law(s). If it looks the same (same letters design, same spacing...), it
might be judged an infringement.
The technical aspects are not really concerned: you could very well make
a set of wooden-block for a font and get sued for infringement if the
printed result is actually a protected font.
It's the judge (and the experts) which decide about the similarity and
the good faith.
That's why most newspapers used to have their very own fonts, designed
(and payed) for their usage.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.<br/>
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?<br/>