POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 1001 Free Fonts : Re: 1001 Free Fonts Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 1001 Free Fonts
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Jun 2010 02:03:42
Message: <4c11d1be$1@news.povray.org>
Shay wrote:
> So, is it legal to use these fonts for semi-commercial designs?

It depends on the country. I am not a lawyer.

That said, my understanding is that you can trademark a font name, and you
can copyright the file the font is in, but you can't copyright the font
itself. (I.e., a font is an "idea" while a TTF file is an expression of that
idea.)

Now, whether the font you're looking at is a derivative work of a font file
somewhere is another question.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly