POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Alan Wake, AAARGH! : Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH! Server Time
8 Oct 2024 08:58:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 11 Jun 2010 01:25:59
Message: <4c11c8e7@news.povray.org>
On 6/9/2010 7:51 PM, nemesis wrote:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>>    This is what we get with consoles. People making games work perfectly
>>> fine on *that* hardware,
>>
>> Which is exactly the reason companies like consoles. :-)
>
> yes, and there's really no point in trying to optimize games for PC when
> consumers can just throw more hardware at the issue.  Typical PC gamers are not
> really running Pentium 4 these days.
>
> Plus, it's much easier to cope with a single static architecture like a console
> than the sheer variety of hardware and drivers for PC.  It's always amazing to
> see the swann songs for consoles pushing it to the limits than seeing Crysis
> running at 2x1080p, 64FSAA, 120FPS by running on a cluster. :)
>
> and then, consoles are typically about shared familiar entertainment on the
> living room rather than a lone experience on the basement PC... :P

Sigh.. No. That isn't how it should bloody work. If you can optimize it
to run well on something that has one core, less memory, and barely any
HD, it makes no damn sense that you can't take *that* optimization, then
just support the ability to self-tweak the damn thing to take advantage
of everything the machine *can* do that the console can't. Its like
buying a damned steering wheel cover for your car and discovering that
its been "optimized" in such a manner that it works fine on a hybred,
but placing it on an SUV will cause the engine to take 10 minutes to
actually start, sets the maximum speed to be 3mph, and all the seats to
rearrange themselves so you now only have room for yourself, and one
very small pet, say.. a hampster, sans cage.

It simply doesn't make any damn sense at all that this should happen.
Its the computer equivalent of attempting to empty the contents of a
puddle, and finding that, by the time you have to drained the contents,
it has mysteriously grown to fill a 150x50x12 foot swimming pool...
These games **should** run on hardware that is 10 years older than what
I have, based on the console its running on, but its using up enough
resources, processor power, and storage, to require something only 1
year older, and but 10 times the cost of what I actually own.

It has jack to do with the "difficulty of optimizing for a PC". The
consoles **are** PCs, and the hardware they are running is usually 3
generations older than the shit they "optimize" the PC version to run
on. This is **de-optimization**.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {