POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Alan Wake, AAARGH! : Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 11 Jun 2010 01:15:39
Message: <4c11c67b$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/10/2010 10:09 AM, Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Sony ever fixed those issues
>
> Ahahaha. At least then, when it was still partially Verent, you got the
> "Sorry, citizen, but you are not allowed to do that in our game. We are
> going to 'fix' this problem." They have moved from, "fixing bugs in ways
> you hate." to, "use this micro-transaction to give us more money."
>
> I did hear the quest got a kludge fix. Anyone can just start it in the
> middle, without the petition for citizenship paper.
Lovely.. Took me about 20 minutes looking through the code for the
non-SOE server to find and fix all the issues with it, and even without
testing all of it, I am pretty sure it got included in the most recent
patches, and all of it works. It wasn't that damn hard to figure out.
All you do is look through to see what they expect, what they give you,
to give to the next guy, then make sure you can go back to the last one
and get a new one, as long as a "flag" that tracks your progress shows
you finished up to that point. Heck. I didn't even have to add my own
bloody flag. The key one needed is already there, there just wasn't code
in there to say:

if flag = 1 & !inventory_contains("thingie"){ \\i.e. you finished to
this point.
   give "thingie";
   say "Someone found this laying around. Try not to lose it again.";}

Someone half brain dead could fix it, never mind people that code quests
all the time for SOE. About 90% of all the changes I made where *all*
basically those 3 lines, with small variations. Same with the class
agents, which all used *identical* code, with the exception of some
wording, since it was the *same* item they all gave you at that critical
point.

Thankfully.. They seem to have been less sloppy with "most" things in
EQ2. Though, I still have a "dark side" quest with some clown (which I
can't complete because of it) that breaks another quest, if you are on
it, unless you first delete the offending quest. Same NPC for both, but
he won't progress the others, if you are already on the evil one you
have to talk to him about, but can't, if you are not evil. Its quite
absurd..., but its like 1 out of 3000+ quests that I have done, which
has had a serious problem. Luclin in EQ1 on the other hand... was a
bloody total damn mess. lol

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {