POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 1001 Free Fonts : 1001 Free Fonts Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  1001 Free Fonts
From: Shay
Date: 10 Jun 2010 20:35:33
Message: <4c1184d5$1@news.povray.org>
I've used a few fonts from this site. They've each been a mess; A dozen
tiny curve segments and straight lines are used to form what could be a
single cubic Bezier curve. This leads me to believe that these "free"
fonts are algorithmically generated from pictures of un-free fonts.[1]

So, is it legal to use these fonts for semi-commercial designs? Is it
legal for me to clean them up? I'm considering publishing a few of my
private Zazzle shirt designs. Given the expected returns, paying for a
commercial license for even a single font is out of the question.

  -Shay

[1] BTW, WTF? The algorithm can't do better than this? Or is this the
output of some crappy fonting program?