POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Andy - question : Re: Andy - question Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:16:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Andy - question
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Jun 2010 16:22:37
Message: <4c11498d$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 02:42:05 -0400, nemesis wrote:

> seems like I missed a lot of fun here... :)

>> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 08:16:07 -0500, Mike Raiford wrote:
>> > That was a great book series. Same about the movie. I've not heard
>> > the radio shows or seen TV shows. I need to sample those some time.
>>
>> The radio show is the original and what I prefer of all of them.  :-)
>
> The radio show has impecable acting and is way too much fun.  But I
> still find that much more of Adams ingenious parody, irony and many
> layers of interlocking themes to be best served in the books... :)

There's a certain degree of truth to that, because a lot of the subtext
is not in the dialogue, but rather in the narration.  Some of it comes
through in the radio series (because of the use of the book as the
narrator), but some does get missed.

> many were let down by the last one for its abrupt and harsh ending, but
> it's one of the best written...

Yes, though in the 5th radio series, they did work around it - and from
what I've read both of the production and from The Salmon of Doubt, Adams
did intend to write another book that explained the characters'
reappearance.  I think Maggs said that at least part of the idea he used
to bring them back was Adams' own.

Jim