POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Alan Wake, AAARGH! : Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH!
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Jun 2010 11:25:30
Message: <4c1103ea$1@news.povray.org>
>> Great. So I'm being deliberately stopped from doing something
>> trivially easy just so Renault can make more profit. *sigh*
>
> Actually they are using that extra profit to reduce the base price of
> their cars, so you should be thanking all the people spending thousands
> on extras for subsidising your car :-)

It's almost like those companies that sell you a printer for £20 and
then charge you £80 for the ink...

>> I wouldn't mind, but the stereo isn't replaceable. It's one of these
>> units that's welded to the dashboard.
>
> Extremely unlikely that you can't get it out (or that it's welded),
> dealers have to replace these sorts of things all the time.

My point is, it's not a standard-sized stereo that you can just replace.
It's a custom-fit job. Only a Renault stereo would be the correct size
and shape (and colour, for that matter) to fit into the space. So I
can't just go to the nearest shop and buy a decent stereo. I can *only*
buy one from Renault. And, as I say, it would be cheaper to buy an
entire new car. (Not to mention that Renault only offer 4 models of
stereo to choose from for this car anyway.)

>> And all because they didn't include a 12p audio socket...
>
> My point is the electrical connection is probably right there behind
> *your* head unit, you just need to connect three wires to it.

I severely doubt it. If their intention is to force you to expend money,
they will presumably have made this is difficult as humanly possible to
prevent you not expending money.

> If it's available as an after-fit option then you might be able to find
> online the actual official service guide for installing it.

As far as I can tell, none of the 4 available models has an audio
socket. They have different radio capabilities, and there's an option to
fit a CD changer. I think one model even supports MP3. But no audio
socket. Ever. (Nor USB, by the way.)

I guess if you wanted USB, you'd have to buy a more expensive car. (How
absurd is that?)