POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Alan Wake, AAARGH! : Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH!
From: Darren New
Date: 9 Jun 2010 15:51:10
Message: <4c0ff0ae@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Hook, line and sinker.

I see. I guess that's why they do it.

>> The games look great in HD, too, btw.  Strongly recommended if you can
>> manage it.
>
>   My CRT is capable of displaying up tp 1600x1200 and a bit more, but for
> whatever reason I don't understand, if you set up any resolution larger
> than 1280x1024 the console will not let you specify a screen aspect ratio
> of 4:3. It forces it to widescreen (and thus everything is squeezed
> horizontally).

Ah, I see. I was thinking you were talking 640x480 or something.

>   I tried the demo of Battlefield: Bad Company,

Try a demo that was designed for a console to start with, like Batman or
Bioshock or some such. You might find it's somewhat easier. I suspect part
of the problem with driving in GTA is that the steering is way oversensitive
for anything you could do with a controller. It might be right with a mouse,
but the wheel basically goes side to side with the slightest joystick
movement.  (Or I have something configured stupidly, but there isn't a whole
lot of configuration you can get to on an XBox.)

Which gives me an idea... I'll have to see if anyone has written a
target-practice or shooting gallery app.

> and while the game looked
> great, it was almost impossible to play. You need pixel-level accuracy to
> hit anything, which is basically impossible with the controller. With a
> mouse it wouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, that's not going to cut it.  The game has to be adjusted to account
for being played with a joystick - it shouldn't be hard to hit what you're
aiming at. Otherwise, you're right, it's pretty much unplayable.

But really, it took me a couple of hours to get to the point where I wasn't
thinking about aiming, I was just aiming. At this point, when I'm doing my
own thing and I'm writing the code to move, I have to run downstairs and
boot up a game to remember which stick is "look" and which is "move", so I
think I've internalized it pretty well.  And some of it is still difficult. :-)

Maybe see if you can borrow a FPS game that's designed for a console from a
friend?  Or, isn't Alan Wake basically a shooter, or at least have a fair
amount of shooting in it?  I bet if you go back after Alan Wake and try some
of the other games, you'll find them easier.

There *is* a global-per-player auto-aim configuration setting on the
console. (I.e., a per-player default as to whether you want it turned on.)
Maybe you need to switch that too.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly