POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Alan Wake, AAARGH! : Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:20:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH!
From: Warp
Date: 9 Jun 2010 15:30:56
Message: <4c0febf0@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   Ok, this is a bit hard to confess, but I sold myself out, so to speak,
> > kind of. I went and bought an Xbox 360.

> Congrats!

> What part is the sell-out? That it's a console, or that it's a Microsoft
> console?  Just curious.

  Well, here I am complaining how I have anticipated this one game for
five years, and then Microsoft decides that it will be published only
for the Xbox 360, seemingly as some kind of marketing campaing to boost
the sales of the console... And then I go and buy the console in question.
Hook, line and sinker.

> The games look great in HD, too, btw.  Strongly recommended if you can
> manage it.

  My CRT is capable of displaying up tp 1600x1200 and a bit more, but for
whatever reason I don't understand, if you set up any resolution larger
than 1280x1024 the console will not let you specify a screen aspect ratio
of 4:3. It forces it to widescreen (and thus everything is squeezed
horizontally).

> > That means no FPS games for me. (Yes, I tried a few demos, and they were
> > next to impossible to play.)

> I've found it takes getting used to, and some games manage it better than
> others. I can't drive in GTA (which is kind of ironic), but shooting in most
> of the games seems OK to me once I play the game a bit, even tho I agree
> it's a lot harder than on the PC with a mouse.

  I tried the demo of Battlefield: Bad Company, and while the game looked
great, it was almost impossible to play. You need pixel-level accuracy to
hit anything, which is basically impossible with the controller. With a
mouse it wouldn't be a problem.

--
                                                          - Warp