POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : BPM : Re: Microcode Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microcode
From: Darren New
Date: 9 Jun 2010 14:10:53
Message: <4c0fd92d$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Note also that the 6502 doesn't have any microcode.

Given how the instruction sets decoded, I'm not sure it's really valid to
say it had no microcode. There were definitely cycles of stepping thru the
code and branching around in the PLA data.  I'm not an expert, but it wasn't
really hard-wired logic as such. The HCF instruction, for example, was an
emergent property of the "microcode" interpretation and not something
necessarily intentional.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly