POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? : Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them?
From: Darren New
Date: 9 Jun 2010 11:55:10
Message: <4c0fb95e$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> I don't follow your logic here, if you're leaving a 4 second gap to the
> car immediately ahead, you still have a 4 second gap no matter what the
> people are doing ahead of you.

You answered your own question:

 > Of course in reality cars don't just instantly stop for no reason,

They do if they run into the person in front of them who is also already
stopped.

> anything ahead of the car immediately in front.  If they fixed either of
> those two issues there wouldn't be any pile up.

If *everybody* fixes those two issues, there's no pile-up. If you're car
#150 of 300, it doesn't much matter whether you hit the guy in front if the
guys behind you don't leave enough root to stop.

> The key point is to be aware what is happening far enough ahead of you
> relative to your speed.  Doing 200 km/hr can be safe if you check far
> enough ahead of you that it is clear (not just the one car ahead of
> you).  If you can't for whatever reason then you need to slow down until
> you can see far enough for your speed.

Yes. Sadly, most people around here are really bad drivers.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Eiffel - The language that lets you specify exactly