POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : BPM : Re: Microcode Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:16:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microcode
From: scott
Date: 9 Jun 2010 11:01:52
Message: <4c0face0@news.povray.org>
>> Ludicrously difficult is programming in machine code for a processor that
>> doesn't yet exist's micro-ops. ;)
>
> If it makes you feel any better...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6502#Bugs_and_quirks
>
> Note also that the 6502 doesn't have any microcode. It just uses a PLA as
> the control matrix - much like the processor that I'm designing. ;-)

FWIW when Acorn designed the original ARM processor, one person designed and
simulated it on a 6502 before starting actual hardware design.  IIRC it only
took a very small number of people in total (like 5 or 6) to design the
hardware implementation.

According to wikipedia over 10 billion ARM cores have been built, I bet they
never imagined that when they were sat at their 6502's designing it back in
the 80s :-)