POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? : Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them?
From: Jim Charter
Date: 8 Jun 2010 23:01:56
Message: <4c0f0424@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> On 06/08/10 11:49, Jim Charter wrote:
>> the police to catch them.  Some would have it that the law prohibits
>> them passing to the right and so justifies their aggressive behavior
>> toward anyone doing the limit in the passing lane.  But the law does not
>> prohibit it, nor does it secure the lane as a passing or high speed lane.
>
> 	In Illinois, on the interstate with two lanes in each direction, you're
> not allowed to drive on the left lane if there is a car behind you. It
> doesn't say anything about passing on the right, although it says that a
> "legitimate" use of being on the left lane is when passing a car.

Yes historically different things have been tried and particular roads
have been/are posted to reserve the left lane as a high speed lane or
passing lane.  On steep grades the left lane is often reserved for
faster traffic and so on.  In NYC of course the left lanes are often
reserved as HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes for certain times of day
and so on.  And I think all these bits and half-remembered,
half-understood pieces are what contribute in the minds of some to this
idea that in the general case they have some basic human right to drive
over the speed limit in the left lane and someone driving the limit in
the left lane is breaking the law.