POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? : Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:17:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them?
From: clipka
Date: 8 Jun 2010 08:20:52
Message: <4c0e35a4$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.06.2010 16:42, schrieb Darren New:
> scott wrote:
>> which I guess is around a 4 second gap.
>
> Four seconds *is* tailgating at any speed where you're worried about
> going faster.

Even at 150 km/h, four seconds is still a distance of 167 m - more than
twice the distance at which you can be fined in Germany.

That's surely not enough space to come to a standstill, but hey - the
car in front of you would need some distance to slow down to zero, too.
And even if the car ahead of you should slow down extremely rapidly by
doing somersaults or some such, 4 seconds gives you plenty of time not
only to slam the brakes to slow down a good deal, but also to look,
think and take evasive maneuvers without endangering following traffic.

(And if you're woried about lane hoggers, there's a definite given that
the slow lane will be unoccupied at that time & space.)