POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hungarian notation : Re: Hungarian notation Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hungarian notation
From: scott
Date: 8 Jun 2010 03:25:43
Message: <4c0df077$1@news.povray.org>
>  Well, I find the first example easier to read (after proper indentation)
> because I see much faster with a quick scan which names are from the
> standard C++ library and which are local variables or reserved keywords.

Sure, I know that already, but not everyone else shares your view.

>  You might as well argue that all the ';' symbols are "noise in the code"
> which add nothing and make it more difficult to read and write (after all,
> the example would be completely unambiguous and parseable without them).

There are several differences with ";".  It's only one character long,
usually only appears 0 or 1 times on a line, and *often* gives you useful
information.  On the contrary, "std::" is 5 characters long, often appears
many times on one line, and very *rarely* helps to actually disambiguate any
code.

>  I have never, and will never understand some people's infatuation with
> brevity.

As I said before, it makes the code easier and faster *for me* to read, and
saves *me* time.  I understand how you feel and how you prefer the extra
verbosity, but it's pretty shortsighted to say you don't understand other
views when it's been explained to you 100 times.