POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? : Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them?
From: scott
Date: 8 Jun 2010 03:14:45
Message: <4c0dede5$1@news.povray.org>
>> should only move out to the left to overtake someone,
>
> Are you sure? About the 'only', I mean.

In the UK at least, yes.  See rule 264 here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069862

Also rule 268 allows you to "undertake" if the conditions are busy and your
lane is simply going faster than the other lanes (ie you are not expected to
brake to avoid undertaking someone if the other lane slows down).

But crucially there is no "MUST NOT" related to any of this, so it seems
there is no specific law that applies in this situation.  I assume it would
just be down to a police officier whether he judged what you were doing as
dangerous or not.  You would probably need a pretty good explanation as to
why to undertook given that the highway code tells you not to.  I don't know
whether they would accept "someone was hogging the overtaking lane" as a
valid reason.