POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Life's little problems : Re: Life's little problems Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Life's little problems
From: somebody
Date: 7 Jun 2010 21:30:46
Message: <4c0d9d46$1@news.povray.org>
news:4c0d35ea@news.povray.org...
> Today, I had an idea. I could set my video camera up on the drive way,
> film myself dancing to my favourit music, and post the results on YouTube.
>
> You immediately see the problem with this, don't you? Yes, that's right:
> the minor detail of "copywrite infringement".
>
> OK, so a bunch of guys spent ages making this music. I respect that. But
> the thing is, it's not like I can *ask* for permission. "The copyright
> to this recording is owned by EMI Records Ltd." Uh, yeah, right. And if
> I write to EMI Records Ltd (assuming I can even find a postal address),
> what are the chances of ever getting a reply, never mind a reply in the
> affirmative?
>
> Now obviously it's their property and if they don't want me to use it,
> they have the right to do that. It's not like I have the God-given right
> to distribute their stuff just because it's convinient to me. It's just
> frustrating, that's all.

Welcome to society. We have these things called rules, regulations and laws
that basically say that not everything convenient or desirable for an
individual is without consequences. See, I find it convenient to walk around
naked in the mall, drive while talking on my cell phone, smoke on a bus...
etc, and I find it frustrating that these actions are not without
consequences. There are probably tens of thousands of such things that you
cannot realistically expect to be able to do without facing the
consequences. Why are you particularly frustrated with IP laws and not all
the others?