POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fan without blades: should we ROTFL or weep? : Re: Fan without blades: should we ROTFL or weep? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:15:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fan without blades: should we ROTFL or weep?
From: Paul Fuller
Date: 7 Jun 2010 20:25:20
Message: <4c0d8df0@news.povray.org>
On 8/06/2010 4:05 AM, Sabrina Kilian wrote:

> If you were scoping to see what was worth stealing, not a whole lot. ;-)

Drat.  Not worth the airfare.

> Right, for the cheap knock offs. That way, when the liquid fries one of
> the motors, I am only out a few dollars.

A tank of propane may have some possibilities with one of these although
they probably are not powerful enough.

Once upon a time I worked as a sysprog for a bank.  There was an
incident when water condensation built up in the air conditioning units
on Level 3.  The outlet pipe had become blocked and water spilled over
the collection pan, found a crack in the slab, trickled into a light
fitting and collected until it broke the fitting and dumped out.
Estimated to be about 10 litres of water.

Then the real drama began.  Level 2 was the main computer room.  The
light fitting was the one sitting above the disk system housing amongst
other things the volumes for the mainframe running the production online
system.  Water + Electronics = Failure.

Much mayhem ensued.

The link is that one of the IBM engineers had the idea to get some
industrial gas heaters in to help dry things out.  These were large
blowers with gas burning in the air stream.  Crank up the speed and
amount of gas and they were quite impressive.  Somewhere less than a
rocket motor but still a *lot* better than a hand electric hair dryer.

Quite an interesting day.  I had a spare system image on another disk
unit on the other side of the computer room.  We got the system back up
in the evening and got through batch in time for the next day.  The
affected unit was rebuilt.  It needed some new controller boards but the
physical drives were fine.  No data lost.

Good blokes those IBM engineers.

Not so good is the idea of putting the air con plant directly above the
computer room.