POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? : Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them?
From: Tom Austin
Date: 7 Jun 2010 12:30:47
Message: <4c0d1eb7$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/7/2010 4:26 AM, scott wrote:
> (Note left/right here is for driving on the right, for driving on the
> left countries reverse the left/rights).
>
> Here we have two important rules for multi-lane roads, one is that you
> should only move out to the left to overtake someone, and secondly you
> are not allowed to pass anyone on the right side (there are some
> exceptions for queues etc). I know it's not like this in all countries.
>
> As anyone who has driven probably knows already, the problem comes when
> someone stays in the left lane when they are not overtaking anyone and
> you want to go faster than them. What are you meant to do if you are
> behind them in this situation? What if you are directly behind in the
> same lane, or what if you approach them in the right lane?
>
> What do you do?

I typically give the left lane drive plenty of room - I do not like to
tailgate.  Then when I see they have lost and lots of room to move over
I will creep up slightly and if the do not move over I will flash my
lights.  Usually that works without trouble.  If they still do not move
over I will move over and undertake - tho I loathe doing it - but at
times there is little other choice.

I am frustrated by people who immediately try to undertake at the
earliest opportunity - I will get out of their way, when it is safe to
move over where I am not too close to the car I just passed.

Those who drive in the undertaking lane are causing a traffic hazard.  I
find it ironic that a lot of them think they are making things safer -
"I am going fast enough and anyone who passes is an idiot that is going
to cause an accident."  Yet they do not realize that they themselves are
causing that 'idiot' to make risky moves that can endanger lives of
everyone around.

My philosophy is to respect all other drivers on the road.  Give them
plenty of room and move out of their way when practical and safe.  I
don't care how fast someone drives - it's just how they drive and react
to others on the road.