POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? : Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 7 Jun 2010 09:49:16
Message: <4c0cf8dc@news.povray.org>
On 6/7/2010 7:22 AM, Stephen wrote:

> How close were you driving to the car?
> Tailgating is one of the things that irritate me most.

Yep, Somebody parked on my bumper and flashing their headlights are not
going to get the desired result from me.

It's a bit annoying when someone rides your bumper as you're in the
passing lane and overtaking. I generally don't have a desire to drive
80mph down the road, but I also don't want to be stuck by the ninny
driving 60mph when the speed limit is 70mph.

What's worse is when you're stuck behind someone driving at 50mph, and
the fast lane is  moving at 80mph.

> refuse to drive in the slow lane when I know that every couple of
> minutes I will have to pull out and cross at least one lane.

Eh, my view on it is this for 3 lanes each way:

* The left lane is passing. Use this to overtake, don't hang out for too
long, get back over when it is safe to do so.

* The right lane is for vehicles entering/exiting the freeway. Hanging
out in this lane means you'll need to deal with those who don't seem to
want to merge at the flow of traffic.

* The center lane is best for general driving. Provided you move to the
right well before your exit comes up so you're not cutting someone off.

On a related note:

* The acceleration lanes for entering the freeway ARE NOT PASSING LANES.
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PASS VEHICLES IN THIS LANE. You'll run out of road and
cut off the vehicle you're passing, or worse. This is my biggest pet
peeve, and has happened numerous times at one particular spot on the way
home. I actually had one kid try to run me off the road after blasting
my horn at him for nearly taking out my front bumper as he attempted
this maneuver.

Anyhoo ... back to better subjects.. ;)

--
~Mike