POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? : Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lane hoggers - how to deal with them?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 7 Jun 2010 09:37:07
Message: <4c0cf603$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> (Note left/right here is for driving on the right, for driving on the
> left countries reverse the left/rights).
>
> Here we have two important rules for multi-lane roads, one is that you
> should only move out to the left to overtake someone, and secondly you
> are not allowed to pass anyone on the right side (there are some
> exceptions for queues etc).  I know it's not like this in all countries.
>
> As anyone who has driven probably knows already, the problem comes when
> someone stays in the left lane when they are not overtaking anyone and
> you want to go faster than them.  What are you meant to do if you are
> behind them in this situation?  What if you are directly behind in the
> same lane, or what if you approach them in the right lane?
>
> I always wanted to ask someone in authority this question as appears
> there is no perfect option.
>
> For me I usually wait around 5 seconds behind them in the same lane,
> then usually pull over to the right lane and wait there for a further
> 5-10 seconds leaving them plenty of space to pull over if they want.  If
> they still do not move then I usually accelerate and swiftly pass on the
> right being ready to move over into the hard shoulder if they suddenly
> decide to change lanes.
>
> My girlfriend says that I should flash them and not overtake on the
> right, but IME this is easily interpretted as quite aggressive behaviour
> and could lead to more problems (eg them still not moving over or even
> worse deliberate braking or other aggressive behaviour).
>
> What do you do?

I am not aware of any law in my jurisdiction prohibiting passing on the
right, so that's what I would do.  If the lanehog thinks this is rude,
then maybe he/she/it ought to learn some manners and make the maneuver
unnecessary.

And why should passing on the right be any more dangerous than passing
on the left?  Drivers are supposed to check for other vehicles when
performing any lane change.

My peeve has always come on portions of divided highways where there are
two lanes in each direction:  The driver being passed is going at a
certain speed (say, 60 mph), and the driver who is passing is going just
slightly above that speed (say, 60.1 mph), so that by the time he gets
past and goes into the non-passing lane (if he does), I and a dozen
others are backed up behind him.

Regards,
John