POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : BPM : Re: BPM Server Time
4 Sep 2024 01:22:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: BPM
From: scott
Date: 7 Jun 2010 08:37:46
Message: <4c0ce81a$1@news.povray.org>
> ...the sound is after all coming *from* my PC. ;-)

Oh I mistakenly thought I read somewhere that you had your collection on
real CDs.  Anyway, the difference is just one parameter in an API call.

> The logical thing to do with be to decode the Vorbis files back into WAV
> files and analyse the resulting spectrum.

Would be more flexible to just read the mixed output from the soundcard,
that way your program would calculate the BPM of whatever music your
computer happened to be playing.  You wouldn't have to worry about decoding
various formats either then.

> Although this is far, far less trivial than you'd imagine. (E.g., WinAmp
> can't reliably decide what the beat rate is either, mainly because it
> can't "hear" the beats reliably.)

Yeh I guess you'd need a good algorithm for detecting beats - presumably
some kind of autocorrelation function on certain parts of the spectrum, easy
to do both in one shot with FFTs), seems right up your street :-)