POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Alan Wake, AAARGH! : Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alan Wake, AAARGH!
From: scott
Date: 7 Jun 2010 03:20:40
Message: <4c0c9dc8$1@news.povray.org>
>  Unfortunately after playing with it for a month or so, I got actually
> immunized against the marvels of an open and realistic world, and
> afterwards
> any sandbox-style game has been outright boring. Thus it would be such a
> problem for me.
>
>  (I go to more detail here:
> http://warp.povusers.org/grrr/sandbox_games.html )

I liked the way GTA does it, whereby you only get access to a limited area
of the complete world initially, and are forced to get to some point in the
story before other parts of the world become accessible (of course you can
see the other areas on the map, which makes you want to get to them).  GTA
is also very good how it has several separate storylines throughout the
missions, and then some come together towards the end of the game whilst
others remain separate.  Of course to make this work you cannot truly do any
mission in any order, sometimes you get a "Complete X and come back here"
message, but IME it wasn't very often.  Certainly GTA San Andreas was one of
the best games I've ever played.