POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another firefighters story : Re: Another firefighters story Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another firefighters story
From: clipka
Date: 6 Jun 2010 14:14:11
Message: <4c0be573$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.06.2010 00:12, schrieb Patrick Elliott:

> One person I once heard put it like this, "Nearly anyone can learn to
> get into MENSA, since the more you work on the sort of puzzles they use
> to test you, the easier they become." What you are trying to test for,
> on the other hand, it a bit... harder. You want to know how long it
> takes them to figure out the tests in the first place, blind, without
> any prior input. This is nearly impossible for anyone that has variable
> levels of knowledge and existing skill, which *relates* to the
> puzzle(s). Its also useless for testing someone that has never been
> exposed, in one fashion or another, to even the *basic* concepts needed
> to figure out what you are supposed to do in the first place, never mind
> how to solve it, once you have that critical detail.

... which reminds me of some survey they did on different ethnic groups,
which involved a question along the ways of "All polar bears are white;
all bears living in Greenland are polar bears; what color do bears
living in Greenland have?"

Among some ethnic group, a typical answer had been something like "I
don't know, I've never been to Greenland to see for myself" ;-)

In a culture where the most important thing to get along in life is
personal experience, that's a pretty smart answer I think.