POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Exotic electronics : Re: Exotic electronics Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Exotic electronics
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 5 Jun 2010 22:38:08
Message: <4c0b0a10$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Kyle wrote:
>> On 6/4/2010 1:22 PM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> The thing is, you don't have a transformer like that IN YOUR HOUSE. And
>>> yet, my dad for some reason DOES have this monster transformer...
>>
>> I have one about the size that you mentioned.  It's a neon sign
>> transformer that puts out several kilo-volts.  I used to have it
>> hooked up to a rather large Tesla coil.  The coil was dismantled many
>> years ago, but I still held onto the transformer, just in case.  ;-)
>
> I would imagine that to HOLD ON TO a transformer like that would be...
> inadvisible. (!)

Only while there is still some power left in it.

That kind of voltage and current is safe if you respect it. Had a
impromptu band play on campus, where the bass line was a jacob's ladder
sticking out of the back of a microwave. The drum stick was a metal tip
glued on to a good length of acrylic. No Tesla coils, yet.