POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fan without blades: should we ROTFL or weep? : Re: Fan without blades: should we ROTFL or weep? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fan without blades: should we ROTFL or weep?
From: Paul Fuller
Date: 5 Jun 2010 20:25:23
Message: <4c0aeaf3$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/06/2010 6:27 AM, nemesis wrote:

>> I take that 'WTF' as disagreeing with me.
>
> nope, sorry.  About the whole thread.  Only replied to your by sheer lazyness.
> :P

Sorry if I was snarky.  There are 3 or 4 products / brands that I've
found to be close to perfect.  When some Internet know-it-all (not you)
starts mouthing off about one with no more basis than what he or she
'thinks' based on 15 seconds looking at a web site and maybe reading the
opinion of other equally un-informed people - well you've got to take a
stand at some point :)

>> By its nature there is a large amount of dusty and dirty air being
>> passed through the device.  Number of trips to maintenance thus far is
>> zero.  Apparent loss of functionality due to the inevitable (you say)
>> buildup of dirt is zero.
>
> Isn't a vacuum cleaner designed to be cleaned and have the dirt properly
> "captured" and packaged?  I don't think that's the point of this device, which
> is to just get the blades out of sight (and, possibly, cleaning maintenance)...

Yes.  But two points - First, as far as I can see the Dyson vacs are
designed and engineered such that you don't have to clean the internal
components.  The whole air path through the system which must include
the fan / impeller seems not to allow any build-up.  There is a final
stage 'HEPA' filter that they recommend rinsing out and drying once a
year (I recall).  Again the design is such that it snaps out and back in
as easily as you can imagine it could be done.  However so little dust
gets to that stage that it does not seem to need any attention.  The
'turbo head' does get long strands of hair wrapped around it over time.
  Easily cleaned and I can't see how that can be avoided.

Second, to the extent that dust could be a problem in their fan, I'm
willing to venture that the Dyson people have given just as much
attention to the problem.  That is their strong suit.