POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Logic Simulator.... For whomever wants to look at it. : Re: Logic Simulator.... For whomever wants to look at it. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Logic Simulator.... For whomever wants to look at it.
From: Stephen
Date: 5 Jun 2010 17:02:52
Message: <4c0abb7c$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/06/2010 9:23 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 14:45:32 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>
>>> Well, if you come over here, I can take you to a Japanese place that's
>>> pretty authentic (according to my Japanese sister-in-law<g>).
>>>
>> That’s worth remembering.
>
> Except, of course, I meant *when* not *if*. ;-)

I'm a bit scared of SLC

>> I’ve not eaten there. So many restaurants so little time. :-(
>
> Especially in Soho.  I'm going to want to try the one you go to if the
> chance presents itself - whether it was Fung Shing or not, we just picked
> it by looking at the menu outside, and it's always better to have a
> recommendation.

Hmm! It is a bit of a cult place. I can’t remember the number of times
I’ve taken people there to see a look of horror on their faces.
I remember one time when two tourists wanted a table to themselves and
said that they would pay the difference. The waiter screamed “Rich men
don’t eat at the Wong Kei. Get out!”
In the old days there was often a floor show from the waiters who were
renowned for their rudeness. But the food is very good and very cheap.
<Dr John, what’s your opinion?>

>>> Unfortunately, for that day of the trip, I only have photos of the
>>> British Museum and Paddington Station
>>
>> Paddington Station is worth a photograph or two. :-)
>
> Yep, and that's what we got.  I grew up reading Paddington Bear stories,
> and we've got a collection that we still read from time to time. :-)

The Bear now eats Marmite.

>>    - the dinner was an experience we didn't photograph
>>
>> Restraint well shown. ;)
>
> You have no idea how much restraint.  There was, at one point, an actual
> danger of one of the members of our party having someone shove chopsticks
> up her nose.  I'll give it this:  it was certainly memorable. ;-)

O_O

> But the details of that story are better told in person over a few pints.

A deal :-D

>> Have you tried congee or chow ho fun? The textures of both are not what
>> westerners are used to.
>
> I may have; that's been longer ago than the trip to Soho, and I have no
> recollection of what specifically we had.

Congee is rice porridge and ho fun is flat rice noodles.

> All this talk about food is making me hungry. :-)
>
>>> The Tikka is part of it, certainly.  :-)
>>
>> The story goes that someone wanted Chicken Tikka, which is a dry dish,
>> but he wanted it moist? So the chef added Heinz tomato soup and viola!
>> Chicken Tikka Masala was born.
>
> LOL, even if it's not the actual story, it's funny. :-)

Well if it was Glasgow then the chances were he was drunk and …

>>> I've read in some Indian
>>> cookbooks that what many westerners think of as "Indian" food is really
>>> British in nature, partially because some of the spice mixes aren't
>>> native to India.
>>
>> That is probably true. The posh Brits brought back curry in the days of
>> the Raj. When it became popular it was modified to reduce the heat of
>> the spices and to use whatever native herbs that could be used.
>
> It's certainly a plausible story. :-)

I’ve eaten in Indian restaurants in OZ, Jamaica and Nigeria. The
Nigerian Indian food blew my head off but the chef was from Southern
India where hotter spices are used than in the north. Most British
Indians are from the North of India or Pakistan or Bangladesh.

>> That is what I am going to do this afternoon, pig curry.
>
> Ooooh, don't think I've had that before (pork obviously isn't often used,
> but you know that<G>).

I used 1 Kg of diced pork and it is delicious. Unfortunately I only have
Thai fragrant rice. But it does :-)

> One year for Thanksgiving we did a turkey curry,
> and that was quite good.  I prefer prawn, chicken, and lamb (in that
> order) myself.

Potato and cauliflower curries are very good too (Bombay potatoes, aloo
saag and aloo gobi).

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen