POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Logic Simulator.... For whomever wants to look at it. : Re: Logic Simulator.... For whomever wants to look at it. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Logic Simulator.... For whomever wants to look at it.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Jun 2010 16:23:32
Message: <4c0ab244@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 14:45:32 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>> Well, if you come over here, I can take you to a Japanese place that's
>> pretty authentic (according to my Japanese sister-in-law<g>).
>>
> That’s worth remembering.

Except, of course, I meant *when* not *if*. ;-)

>> It was in Soho, back in 2002, let me see if I can find it....
>>
>> It looks like it would have to have been on Lisle Street, because I
>> remember it wasn't far from Leister Square station, though we rode in
>> and met the rest of our group at Westminster and walked from there.
>>
>> But I also remember that the entrance was on the left-hand side of the
>> front of the restaurant, and there was a stairway that led upstairs (we
>> sat on the second floor).  It *might* have been Fung Shing, The
>> interior shots on their website remind me of what I remember, if that's
>> any indication.
>>

> I’ve not eaten there. So many restaurants so little time. :-(

Especially in Soho.  I'm going to want to try the one you go to if the
chance presents itself - whether it was Fung Shing or not, we just picked
it by looking at the menu outside, and it's always better to have a
recommendation.

>> But I also vaguely recall that the exterior was red and there were a
>> fair number of awnings over the street, including in front of the
>> entrance.
>>

> Red is a popular colour. :-)

It sure is.

>> Unfortunately, for that day of the trip, I only have photos of the
>> British Museum and Paddington Station
>
> Paddington Station is worth a photograph or two. :-)

Yep, and that's what we got.  I grew up reading Paddington Bear stories,
and we've got a collection that we still read from time to time. :-)

>   - the dinner was an experience we didn't photograph
>
> Restraint well shown. ;)

You have no idea how much restraint.  There was, at one point, an actual
danger of one of the members of our party having someone shove chopsticks
up her nose.  I'll give it this:  it was certainly memorable. ;-)

But the details of that story are better told in person over a few pints.

>> Unfortunately, while the flavours were really good, some of the
>> textures didn't agree with me.  But certainly very different from what
>> most Americans think of as "Chinese" food.
>>
> Have you tried congee or chow ho fun? The textures of both are not what
> westerners are used to.

I may have; that's been longer ago than the trip to Soho, and I have no
recollection of what specifically we had.

All this talk about food is making me hungry. :-)

>> The Tikka is part of it, certainly.  :-)
>
> The story goes that someone wanted Chicken Tikka, which is a dry dish,
> but he wanted it moist? So the chef added Heinz tomato soup and viola!
> Chicken Tikka Masala was born.

LOL, even if it's not the actual story, it's funny. :-)

>> I've read in some Indian
>> cookbooks that what many westerners think of as "Indian" food is really
>> British in nature, partially because some of the spice mixes aren't
>> native to India.
>
> That is probably true. The posh Brits brought back curry in the days of
> the Raj. When it became popular it was modified to reduce the heat of
> the spices and to use whatever native herbs that could be used.

It's certainly a plausible story. :-)

>> That said, though, one of our favourite restaurants to visit in Salt
>> Lake City does authentic Indian food - had a friend who grew up in
>> India visit with us, and he said it reminded him of his grandmother's
>> cooking (in a good way).  So at least one place here got it right
>> (quite possibly because the family that owns it is from India and most
>> of the staff are immigrants from India).  Next time I'm in there, I'll
>> have to ask Avtar what part of India his family is from.  They're
>> always happy to see us, but we've not gone as much recently because we
>> do make our own.
>>

> That is what I am going to do this afternoon, pig curry.

Ooooh, don't think I've had that before (pork obviously isn't often used,
but you know that <G>).  One year for Thanksgiving we did a turkey curry,
and that was quite good.  I prefer prawn, chicken, and lamb (in that
order) myself.

Jim