POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 37 and C++0x : Re: Beta 37 and C++0x Server Time
4 Jul 2024 17:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 37 and C++0x
From: Warp
Date: 5 Jun 2010 06:51:55
Message: <4c0a2c4b@news.povray.org>
> On 05.06.10 10:32, Warp wrote:
> >> Nonsense, pure and simple: The standard library uses lower case for all
> >> names. So guess what is sufficient to avoid any and all collisions now and
> >> in the future ... ROFL - your arguments really don't make sense!
> >
> >    Thanks for confirming exactly what I said. Ironically, you thought you
> > were discrediting it.
> >
> >    (Besides, your claim is easy to prove wrong: std::FILE.)

> Great, I was certain you would come up with some macro (there are also 57
> macros) or some other C compatibility feature to make "your point". But
> luckily, I can read and quote the standard...

  I don't understand how your quote of the standard is related to what I said
above.

> Annex D [depr]
> (normative)
> Compatibility features
> 1 This clause describes features of the C++ Standard that are specified for
> compatibility with existing implementations.
> 2 These are deprecated features, where deprecated is defined as: Normative
> for the current edition of the Standard, but not guaranteed to be part of
> the Standard in future revisions.

> D.5 Standard C library headers [depr.c.headers]
> 2 Each C header, whose name has the form name.h, behaves as if each name
> placed in the Standard library namespace by the corresponding cname header
> is also placed within the namespace scope of the namespace std and is
> followed by an explicit using declaration (7.3.3)

> LOL, the bad, bad standard uses "using declarations" for whole files. How
> can those amateurs dare!

  Perhaps you don't understand what "compatibility" and "deprecated" mean?

  In English those words mean in this context "compilers should implement
.h versions of standard header files for compatibility with code written
for pre-standard C++ compilers, but these headers should be considered
deprecated and might be removed at any time in the future".

--
                                                          - Warp