POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fan without blades: should we ROTFL or weep? : Re: Fan without blades: should we ROTFL or weep? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 09:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fan without blades: should we ROTFL or weep?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Jun 2010 04:07:54
Message: <4c0a05da$1@news.povray.org>
Paul Fuller wrote:

> The air flow is created by a really neat impeller and high power
> electric motor.  I believe it was adapted from the Dyson 'airblade' hand
> dryer.  If you have not seen and used one of those you are in for a
> surprise!  Wow that thing is good.

We have a Dyson Airblade at work. It is THE most useless thing I've ever
encountered!

When I was a child, it never ceased to amaze me that hand driers
actually work. I mean, sure, it blows hot air on your hands. The
principle makes sense. But surely you're going to have to wait a hell of
a long time before your hands become *dry*, right?

But no, without fail it always manages to dry your hands in seconds. I
mean, *really* dry!

...and then we come to the Dyson Airblade. Now I don't know if this
particular one is just faulty (wouldn't surprise me; everything else in
this building is!), but it is *hopeless*. The air it blows at you is
utterly freezing on your wet hands. It blows so hard that you can
actually see it flobbling your flesh around. And it's deafeningly loud.

I'm not even kidding. I took a sound meter in there and measured the
sound level. The reading came back as 98 dB (A-weighted) or 93 dB
(C-weighted). Apparently that's in the range that's supposed to cause
temporary hearing damage.

And, quite apart from making your hands extremely cold and mashing your
skin around quite unconforably, IT DOESN'T DRY YOUR HANDS! Which, given
that this is the entire purpose for which the device exists, qualifies
it as an unmitigated failure IMHO.

> Dyson after all does know a bit about air flow and dust.

What they definitely know how to do is design products that look
"innovative" and "sciency". Fair play; I couldn't do that.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/